This is an old revision of the document!
Table of Contents
Installing Aircrack-ng from Source
Legacy information can be found here.
- OpenSSL development package or libgcrypt development package.
- pcre development package for ESSID filtering in airodump-ng
- Airmon-ng requires ethtool and rfkill
- LibNetlink 1 (libnl-dev) or 3 (libnl-3-dev and libnl-genl-3-dev) development packages. It can be disabled by passing –disable-libnl to configure.
- Kernel headers and gcc as well as make have to be installed on your system (build-essential on Debian based distributions)
- make and Standard C++ Library development package (Debian: libstdc++-dev)
- w32api is required
- Airpcap: developer directory from the Airpcap CD.
- if using clang, libiconv and libiconv-devel
- make and Standard C++ Library development package
Install the following via Homebrew (brew):
FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Solaris
Install the following via pkg:
- gcc7 optional (50-70% speed gains with gcc 5 compared to gcc 4)
- If you want SSID filtering with regular expression in airodump-ng (-essid-regex) pcre development package is required.
- If you want to use airolib-ng and '-r' option in aircrack-ng, SQLite development package >= 3.3.17 (3.6.X version or better is recommended)
- If you want to use Airpcap, the 'developer' directory from the CD is required.
- For best performance on FreeBSD (50-70% more), install gcc5 via: pkg install gcc5 Then compile with: gmake CC=gcc5 CXX=g++5
Compiling and installing
- On OS X, *BSD and Solaris, use 'gmake' instead of 'make'.
- In order to compile with clang instead of gcc, add 'CC=clang CXX=clang++' to the configure command.
wget http://download.aircrack-ng.org/aircrack-ng-1.2.tar.gz tar -zxvf aircrack-ng-1.2.tar.gz cd aircrack-ng-1.2 autoreconf -i ./configure --with-experimental make make install
Compiling with AirPcap support (cygwin only)
- Copy 'developer' directory from the AirPcap CD at the same level as 'Aircrack-ng' directory
- Append '- -with-airpcap=../developer' parameter to configure:
Compiling on *BSD
Commands are exactly the same as Linux but instead of make, use gmake (with CC=gcc5 CXX=g++5 or any other installed gcc version).
Compiling on OS X
Commands are exactly the same as Linux
Latest Git (development) Sources
Note: Compilation parameters can also be used with the sources from our git repository.
git clone https://github.com/aircrack-ng/aircrack-ng cd aircrack-ng autoreconf -i ./configure --with-experimental make make install
When configuring, the following flags can be used and combined to adjust the suite to your choosing:
- with-airpcap=DIR: needed for supporting airpcap devices on windows (cygwin or msys2 only) Replace DIR above with the absolute location to the root of the extracted source code from the Airpcap CD or downloaded SDK available online. Required on Windows to build besside-ng, besside-ng-crawler, easside-ng, tkiptun-ng and wesside-ng when building experimental tools. The developer pack (Compatible with version 4.1.1 and 4.1.3) can be downloaded at https://support.riverbed.com/content/support/software/steelcentral-npm/airpcap.html
- with-experimental: needed to compile tkiptun-ng, easside-ng, buddy-ng, buddy-ng-crawler, airventriloquist and wesside-ng. libpcap development package is also required to compile most of the tools. If not present, not all experimental tools will be built. On Cygwin, libpcap is not present and the Airpcap SDK replaces it. See –with-airpcap option above. On debian based distro, install libpcap-dev
- with-ext-scripts: needed to build airoscript-ng, versuck-ng, airgraph-ng and airdrop-ng. Note: Each script has its own dependencies. Note: It's only required in install phase.
- with-gcrypt: Use libgcrypt crypto library instead of the default OpenSSL. And also use internal fast sha1 implementation (borrowed from GIT) Dependency (Debian): libgcrypt20-dev
- with-duma: Compile with DUMA support. DUMA is a library to detect buffer overruns and under-runs. Dependencies (debian): duma
- with-xcode: Set this flag to true to compile on OS X with Xcode 7+.
- disable-libnl: Set-up the project to be compiled without libnl (1 or 3). Linux option only.
- without-opt: Do not enable stack protector (on GCC 4.9 and above).
- enable-shared: Make OSdep a shared library.
- disable-shared: When combined with enable-static, it will statically compile Aircrack-ng.
- with-avx512: On x86, add support for AVX512 instructions in aircrack-ng. Only use it when the current CPU supports AVX512.
"command not found" error message
After you do “make install” then try to use any of the Aircrack-ng suite commands, you get the error message “command not found” or similar. Your system will look for the Aircrack-ng commands in the directories defined by the PATH command.
Normally, the Aircrack-ng suite programs and man pages are placed in:
/usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin /usr/local/man
On your system, to determine which directories have the Aircrack-ng programs enter the following. If using “locate” be sure to first run “updatedb”.
locate aircrack-ng locate airmon-ng
find / -name aircrack-ng find / -name airmon-ng
Once you know the directories (exclude the source directories) then determine which directories are in your PATH. To see which directories are included in PATH on your particular system enter:
It should show something like:
At this point compare the actual locations with the directories in your PATH. If the directories are missing from your PATH then you have a few options:
- Add the directories to your PATH. See the one or more of the following web sites for details of how to do this:
http://www.linuxheadquarters.com/howto/basic/path.shtml http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-print-path-variable/ http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/prepostpath.htm http://linux.about.com/od/linux101/l/blnewbie3_1_4.htm
- Change to the particular directory with “cd” and then run the commands from within the directory. Don't forget to add “./” in front of each command.
- Specify the full path for each command. So if Aircrack-ng is located in the “/usr/local/bin” directory then run the command as “/usr/local/bin/aircrack-ng”.
Installing pre-compiled binaries
Open your package manager and install 'Aircrack-ng' package. Be sure to check that the version offered is up-to-date – it often isn't.
On OSX, install it is via Macports. Simply do “sudo port install aircrack-ng”.
The Windows version of the Aircrack-ng suite does not have an install program. You must manually install (unzipping archive) the software.
Here are the steps to follow for Windows:
- Download the latest version of the Aircrack-ng suite for Windows to your PC. The link for the zip file can be found on the Wiki home page.
- Unzip the contents of the Aircrack-ng zip file into “C:\”. This will create a directory called “aircrack-ng-1.2-win”. This directory name will vary based on the exact version that you downloaded. This main directory contains three subdirectories - “bin”, “src” and “test”.
Prior to using the software, make sure to install the drivers for your particular wireless card. See this link for the instructions.
To now use the Aircrack-ng suite, start Windows Explorer and double click on Aircrack-ng GUI.exe inside “bin” subdirectory. The GUI requires .NET version 4.6.1 to run.
Alternatively, open a command prompt (Start menu → Execute → cmd.exe) and change to the “C:\aircrack-ng-1.2-win\bin” directory and execute the individual commands.