This is an old revision of the document!
Table of Contents
Slitaz Aircrack-ng Distribution
The “Slitaz Aircrack-ng Distribution” is the base Slitaz cooking version plus the latest Aircrack-ng SVN version, wireless drivers patched for injection and other related tools. The custom distribution is especially tuned for the Acer Aspire One netbooks but will work well on virtually all desktops, notebooks and netbooks. It is extremely small (60meg), requires minimal memory and includes a rich set of programs.
This distribution is not intended to be all things to all people. Especially with respect to patched wireless drivers. Only a limited set of patched wireless drivers are included. If you own a card which uses one of these patched drivers then you are in luck. These are for cards which are personally owned and are known to work well. There are no plans to expand this list. If your particular card is not included then use Back Track which includes an exceedingly large number of patched drivers.
Having said that, the latest version now includes the 2.6.29 kernel with many new wireless drivers. So you may have luck with wireless devices which are not officially supported as noted above. The mac80211 drivers work for many devices out of the box.
Slitaz home: http://www.slitaz.org/en/
The foundation is SliTaz which is a free micro GNU/Linux distro using BusyBox, a Linux kernel, and GNU free software. The goal of SliTaz is to have a GNU/Linux distro working in memory (RAM). Installable to a hard disk, with good support for French language web, it offers reliability, high performance and PC recycling. SliTaz boots with Syslinux and provides more than 200 Linux commands, the LightTPD web server, SQLite database, rescue tools, IRC client, SSH client/server powered by Dropbear, X window system, JWM (Joe's Window Manager), gFTP, Geany IDE, Mozilla Firefox, Alsaplayer, Gparted, a sound file editor and much more.
Summary of What Is Included:
- Aircrack-ng 1.0 rc3 r1579 including sqlite airolib-ng support
- madwifi-hal r4032 patched for injection (The new official HAL (0.10.5.6) supports AR5007EG (and AR5006EG) on 32 and 64 bit systems.)
- madwifi-ng r4032 patched for injection
- rt73 (ASPj rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.2) patched for injection
- r8187 (rtl8187_linux_26.1010 for RTL8187L) patched for injection
- mdk3 wireless tool
- Midnight Commander
- General tools / compilers to do software development
- See the Slitaz site for the list of standard packages / programs. The distribution is based on the 2.0 version of Slitaz plus updated packages to July 4/2009.
Download / Installation
- CD-ROM: Download slitaz-aircrack-ng-20090704.iso and burn a CD-ROM. Remember that this ISO name will change as future versions are released.
- ISO MD5 23624fe42218f496077ed0efa5b4fb7b
- USB: http://wiki.slitaz.org/doku.php?id=quickstart:live_usb Basically use unetbootin to load CD-ROM ISO onto a USB. Super simple and works extremely well.
- Hard Disk: Run the CD or USB version and then startx. Click Menu –> System Tools –> SliTaz Installer and follow the prompts. If you have problems installing from USB, see the Slitaz installation page for workarounds.
- root with a password of root
Custom Scripts Available
There are some custom scripts which can be run from the command line:
- update-aircrack: Optionally, this allows you to download and install the latest version. A very recent SVN version is already installed so running this script is optional. It includes installing the required packages to download and compile the aircrack-ng suite.
- update-ac: This is the same as update-aircrack-ng except it assumes the required packages have already been downloaded and installed.
- startaaoath0: madwifi-hal
- startath0: madwifi-ng
- startwlan0: RTL8187L
- startrausb0: RT73
- acpitool: The program compiled specifically for the AAO but it should work on other platforms. Use “acpitool -B” on the command line to get battery status.
To view the above, type “less /etc/motd.full” at the command line.
X Window (GUI)
If you login and type “startx” it will give you an XWindow environment which does allow you to open multiple console windows at the same time.
Alternatively, pressing ALT plus F1, F2, etc. will give you multiple login windows. Each F1, … is a separate login to run aircrack-ng commands or other linux commands. So you can have multiple programs running at the same time. NOTE: This does not apply if you have started XWindow.
Disabling Console Messages
To disable kernel messages going to the console:
The mac80211 version of the drivers are also included in the distribution (rtl8187, rt73usb and ath5k). They are not patched for injection. However, you want/need them for regular wireless use.
- startx does not work properly: If you get symptoms like a blank screen, etc. then reboot, delete /root/.xsession and then do startx. This will cause the GUI characteristics such as screen size and so on to be reselected.
- You receive the following error messages: ioctl(RTC_IRQP_SET) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device / Make sure enhanced rtc device support is enabled in the kernel (module rtc, not genrtc) - also try 'echo 1024 >/proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq'. This normal with the newest kernel. The custom scripts above automatically load the RTC module and sets the max-user-freq option. Even with the module loaded and the max-user-freq option set, the error messages still appear. Simply ignore them, everything functions normally.
- Slow startup of Midnight Commander: If you are using the X Window (GUI) environment then this should not be a problem. However, if you are using console sessions then enter “DISPLAY=” at the command line. Don't use this tip if you plan to run “startx” for a X Window (GUI) environment. NOTE: This tip applies to older versions of the distribution.
- Acer Aspire One wireless: The built-in card is fully supported. However you need to run the startaaoath0 script to properly enable it and the wireless light. As well, the card will only work if you power the AAO on from scratch. The card will fail to start if you simply do a reboot.
- PCMCIA / Cardbus: Enter “modprobe yenta_socket” prior to running the script to load the wireless device drivers.
- USB Boot failure: When booting from a USB device, the symptom is that AAO hangs during the boot process. To resolve the problem, try a newer USB device. Some older USB devices fail to boot for some unknown reason.
- Boot failure on SSD netbooks: When booting the LiveCD/USB on an AAO that uses a SSD instead of a hard disk, the symptom is that the AAO hangs during the boot process. To resolve the problem, remove the SSD from the AAO prior to booting.
- Console messages from wireless drivers: Various drivers can send messages to the console and interfere with running the aircrack-ng tools. Simply enter “dmesg -n1” to suppress the display of all console messages.
- How to determine if USB wireless device is recognized: Slitaz does not contain the lsusb command which normally displays which USB devices are recognized by the operating system. As an alternative, view the contents of the file “/proc/bus/usb/devices”. This will allow you to determine if your USB wireless device was recognized.
How to get support?
For the Slitaz distribution:
For the Aircrack-ng component:
- Updated aircrack-ng suite to SVN r1579
- Updated madwifi-hal to r4032
- Updated madwifi to r4032
- Updated all Slitaz packages as of July 4/2009. This is Slitaz 2.0. Unfortunately there is a lot of bloat in v2.0 and ISO has increased in size to about 60 meg.
- Download link: slitaz-aircrack-ng-20090704.iso
- ISO MD5 23624fe42218f496077ed0efa5b4fb7b
- Updated aircrack-ng suite to SVN r1513
- Updated all Slitaz packages as of May 5/2009. This is Slitaz 2.0. Unfortunately there is a lot of bloat in v2.0 and ISO has increased in size to about 60 meg with the latest kernel upgrade and packages.
- Download link: slitaz-aircrack-ng-20090505.iso
- ISO MD5 a38acbf0cdc4d7f908f9e7000ff703f7
- Added macchanger
- Cosmetic fixes
- Updated aircrack-ng suite to SVN r1498
- Updated all Slitaz packages as of March 30/2009
- Download link: slitaz-aircrack-ng-20090331.iso
- Dramatically reduced the size of the ISO to 43 meg.
- Cosmetic fixes
- Updated aircrack-ng suite to SVN r1394
- Updated all Slitaz packages as of February 11/2009
- Download link: slitaz-aircrack-ng-20090211.iso
- Initial release: slitaz-aircrack-ng-20090131.iso