This is an old revision of the document!
Table of Contents
Aircrack-ng is a complete suite of tools to assess WiFi network security.
All tools are command line which allows for heavy scripting. A lot of GUIs have taken advantage of this feature. It works primarily Linux but also Windows, OS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, as well as Solaris and even eComStation 2.
It focuses on different areas of WiFi security:
- Monitoring: Packet capture and export of data to text files for further processing by third party tools.
- Attacking: Replay attacks, deauthentication, fake access points and others via packet injection.
- Testing: Checking WiFi cards and driver capabilities (capture and injection).
- Cracking: WEP and WPA PSK (WPA 1 and 2).
We also maintain patches for:
- Packet injection for Linux drivers
- HostAPd and Freeradius, called WPE (Wireless Pawn Edition) patches, to attack WPA Enterprise.
Tell me more about Aircrack-ng
If you are impatient and want to know how to get started, jump to the Getting Started Tutorial.
Aircrack-ng was started at the end of February 2006. It is the Next Generation of aircrack with lots of new features:
- Better documentation (wiki, manpages) and support (Forum, GitHub, IRC: #aircrack-ng on Freenode).
- More cards/drivers supported
- More OS and platforms supported
- PTW attack
- WEP dictionary attack
- Fragmentation attack
- WPA Migration mode
- Improved cracking speed
- Capture with multiple cards
- New tools: airtun-ng, packetforge-ng (improved arpforge), wesside-ng, easside-ng, airserv-ng, airolib-ng, airdriver-ng, airbase-ng, tkiptun-ng and airdecloak-ng
- Optimizations, other improvements and bug fixing
|15 Apr 2018||Aircrack-ng 1.2||It's been way too long since the last stable release.
Compared to the last stable, 1.1, this release has a huge amount of improvements and fixes. The changelog since 1.1 is almost 300 lines long (1200+ commits). Code quality has improved, in parts thanks to Coverity Scan. We now switched to GitHub completely and have a few buildbots (including one for windows) to test building and run the test suite on a different platforms.
The build system has switched to autotools, which fixes and improves building on a number of different platforms, CPUs and compilers (gcc, clang and Intel).
Aircrack-ng is now a lot faster on recent CPUs (up to 3 times) and a trampoline binary automatically chooses the best executable for your CPU instructions. There is no need to change any of the commands, it is done transparently. Both those changes will make distro package builder's task easier and they won't have to worry about how to build it to be compatible with the most CPUs.
Continuing with Aircrack-ng, it can also output WPA hashes to EWSA and hashcat format for processing with those tools.
There is 802.11 support in airodump-ng with HT40+/HT40- channels and it now displays the rate correctly for 802.11n or 802.11ac Access Points. For those using GPS, it now supports the recent version of GPSd with JSON.
Airmon-ng itself has a number of improvements in chipset/driver detection. The most notables improvements, on top of new chipset/driver detection, is the support for FreeBSD and on Linux, the support for Nexmon driver (monitor mode driver) on the Raspberry Pi 3 (and 0 Wireless) using Kali. Airtun-ng now supports WPA/2.
For the folks following our release candidates, this doesn't bring much compared to rc5, just a few small fixes and adds UTF8 ESSID support in airodump-ng and aireplay-ng. So, if you are already running 1.2rc5, update is merely advised, otherwise, it is highly recommended.
Check out our changelog for more details.
|3 Apr 2018||Aircrack-ng 1.2 RC 5||On top of tons of fixes and improvements everywhere (and on multiple platforms), this release switched to autotools which allows compiling on more platforms. A trampoline binary has been added for Aircrack-ng to automatically select the fastest version for your CPU features. It will also help package maintainers greatly.
A few other notable mentions:
- Airodump-ng supports setting HT40+/HT40- channels and now displays 802.11n and 802.11ac rates.
- Created WPA Enterprise WPE patches for HostAPd and Freeradius
- Support to export to HCCAPx for Hashcat v3.6+
- Added Airventriloquist-ng, a tool from Caesurus.
- Airmon-ng supports setting Nexmon devices in/out of monitor mode on Kali
Check out our changelog for more details. Longest since 1.2-beta1.
Latest version: 1.2
IMPORTANT Information Regarding Windows Version IMPORTANT
The windows version requires you to develop your own DLLs to link aircrack-ng to your wireless card. The required DLLs are not provided in the download nor available anywhere on the Internet. Without these DLLs, the windows version will not function. Do NOT post questions or problems to the forum regarding the windows version. At present, there is no support provided.
- Installing the aircrack-ng suite and the drivers
- more Downloads... and how to compile aircrack-ng, distro packages…
- Airodump-ng: Increase console window size.
- Aircrack-ng: Added time remaining and percentage done when doing WPA cracking with a dictionary (file).
- Aircrack-ng: Make benchmark last 15 seconds for a more accurate value.
- Aircrack-ng: Fixed compilation on Cygwin 64 and drastically improve cracking speed for all CPUs (up to +175% performance).
- Airmon-ng: Improved chipset detection on FreeBSD.
- Airmon-ng: Display chipset for some Broadcom SDIO.
- Airbase-ng: Fixed broadcasting 'default'.
- General: Updated and cleanup TravisCI file to test compilation and testing on OSX.
- General: Fixed reading large files on Cygwin.
- General: Fixed a bunch of compilation warnings with gcc and clang.
- General: Fixed compilation on Solaris, OpenBSD, DragonFlyBSD 4.4, NetBSD, OSX.
- General: Fixed compilation on ARM and MIPS.
- General: Improved compatibility on FreeBSD and Cygwin (RAM and CPU detection).
- General: Fixed gcc segfault on cygwin.
- General: Memory cleanups, fixed memory leaks and fix other issues reported by Valgrind.
- Testing: Fixes on various OSes.
- INSTALLING: Updated installation instructions for different OS.
- TravisCI: Improved file.
Our code repository containing sources can be found at https://github.com/aircrack-ng/aircrack-ng.
We also use GitHub to track issues.
The download and installation instructions can be found on the installation page.
- Installing the aircrack-ng suite
- Installing drivers and driver patches
Be sure to read the wiki. This wiki contains a vast amount of information to get you going and to resolve problems.
- manpages: each tool has a manpage.
- Bugtracking: GitHub
- IRC: #aircrack-ng on Freenode
- airdriver-ng - REMOVED in 1.2 rc 1
- Installing the aircrack-ng suite and the drivers
Links to Key Resources
- Patches: patches.aircrack-ng.org
- Videos (tutorials): videos.aircrack-ng.org
- Download: download.aircrack-ng.org
- Forum: forum.aircrack-ng.org
- Photos and videos (events): photos.aircrack-ng.org
- Blog: blog.aircrack-ng.org
- Nightly tarballs: nightly.aircrack-ng.org
- Archive: archive.aircrack-ng.org
- Storage: storage.aircrack-ng.org
- Twitter: twitter.aircrack-ng.org
We would like to thank everyone who donate and/or contribute to Aircrack-ng.
If you would like to donate, consider Hackers for Charity.
If you have any question regarding this website (this wiki, forum, …), do not hesitate to contact me at email@example.com.
Thanks to devine for the original work and to everyone who contributed to aircrack (You know who you are)