This is an old revision of the document!
Table of Contents
Aircrack-ng is a complete suite of tools to assess WiFi network security.
All tools are command line which allows for heavy scripting. A lot of GUIs have taken advantage of this feature. It works primarily Linux but also Windows, OS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, as well as Solaris and even eComStation 2.
It focuses on different areas of WiFi security:
- Monitoring: Packet capture and export of data to text files for further processing by third party tools.
- Attacking: Replay attacks, deauthentication, fake access points and others via packet injection.
- Testing: Checking WiFi cards and driver capabilities (capture and injection).
- Cracking: WEP and WPA PSK (WPA 1 and 2).
We also maintain patches for:
- Packet injection for Linux drivers
- HostAPd and Freeradius, called WPE (Wireless Pawn Edition) patches, to attack WPA Enterprise.
Tell me more about Aircrack-ng
If you are impatient and want to know how to get started, jump to the Getting Started Tutorial.
Aircrack-ng was started at the end of February 2006. It is the Next Generation of aircrack with lots of new features:
- Better documentation (wiki, manpages) and support (Forum, GitHub, IRC: #aircrack-ng on Freenode).
- More cards/drivers supported
- More OS and platforms supported
- PTW attack
- WEP dictionary attack
- Fragmentation attack
- WPA Migration mode
- Improved cracking speed
- Capture with multiple cards
- New tools: airtun-ng, packetforge-ng (improved arpforge), wesside-ng, easside-ng, airserv-ng, airolib-ng, airdriver-ng, airbase-ng, tkiptun-ng and airdecloak-ng
- Optimizations, other improvements and bug fixing
|29 Sep 2018||Aircrack-ng 1.4||We're on a roll, this is the third release of the year. We are still focusing a lot on code quality, while fixing bugs, improving all around and adding features:
- PMKID cracking
- Cracking capture files with 802.11w
- Speed and memory usage improvement when loading (large) files with Aircrack-ng and Airdecap-ng
- Packages for Linux distributions and Windows
- CI/CD tweaks and improvements
- New tests
More details can be found in our blog post.
|16 Sep 2018||Blog post: Debian and FreeBSD on QEMU with MMX-only CPU||A recent bug (and PR) was opened, aircrack-ng couldn't be built with MMX using a i586 toolchain. Finding computers without SSE2 nowadays is not easy and it is even harder to find a distribution that supports them.
In this blog post, we use qemu to emulate a Pentium 2 and a Pentium MMX and use distributions that still work on them to test the bug.
Latest version: 1.4
IMPORTANT Information Regarding Windows Version IMPORTANT
The windows version requires you to develop your own DLLs to link aircrack-ng to your wireless card. The required DLLs are not provided in the download nor available anywhere on the Internet. Without these DLLs, the windows version will not function. Do NOT post questions or problems to the forum regarding the windows version. At present, there is no support provided.
- Installing the aircrack-ng suite and the drivers
- more Downloads... and how to compile aircrack-ng, distro packages…
- Aircrack-ng: Allow using Hashcat HCCAPX files as input files.
- Aircrack-ng: Fixed floating point exception due to division by 0 when displaying stats.
- Aircrack-ng: Updated manpage regarding hex wordlist usage.
- Aircrack-ng: Added save/restore session when cracking using wordlists (-N and -R).
- Aircrack-ng: Moved crypto to its own library, aircrack-crypto/ (aka crypto engine).
- Aircrack-ng: Now back to a single binary thanks to crypto-engine.
- Aircrack-ng: Performance improvements of the crypto engine across various CPU architectures.
- Aircrack-ng: Added support for AVX512 in the crypto-engine (and build).
- Aircrack-ng: Improved building crypto-engine across CPU architectures and compilers (gcc, clang and ICC).
- Aircrack-ng: Allow to list available SIMD optimizations.
- Aircrack-ng: Improved benchmark tool for unusual CPU/cores count.
- Airodump-ng: Fixed running in the background.
- Airodump-ng: Don't show WPA handshake capture notice for out-of-scope ESSIDs.
- Airodump-ng: Add –background 0/1 to force disable/enable background settings and override autodetection of background.
- Airodump-ng: Added support for GCMP, GCMP-256 and CCMP-256.
- Airolib-ng: Fixed importing data when interrupting process using Ctrl-C.
- dcrack: Check if dictionary and capture file exists before uploading them.
- dcrack: Clean up dictionary before uploading it to the server.
- dcrack: Gracefully stop and display errors instead of printing stacktrace whenever possible.
- dcrack: Move temporary user files to /tmp and cleanup when done.
- dcrack: Fixed displaying status when no clients are connected to the server.
- dcrack: Validate uploaded PCAP and display success/failure.
- dcrack: Improved removing BSSID.
- WPAClean: Fixed crash with invalid prism2 header PCAP and added tests.
- WPAClean: Don't create output file if no handshake are present or if input file is bad.
- WPAClean: Fixed memory leak.
- Airmon-ng: Fixed display of interface name if name is too long.
- OSdep: Fixed memory leak and null pointer dereference.
- OSdep: Fixed byteorder macros and other tools crashing.
- OSdep: Added support to build as a shared library.
- FreeRADIUS-WPE: Updated instructions for v3.0.17.
- HostAPd-wpe: Added Response-Identity logging and displaying NETNTLM hash in hashcat format.
- Airgraph-ng: Renamed dump-join to airodump-join.
- General: Added coveralls.io badge.
- General: Added –without-opt to disable stack protector when using GCC >= 4.9
- General: Various improvements and fixes, some from Coverity Scan and Valgrind.
- General: Fixed typos reported by codespell.
- General: Extracted console functions and moved to aircrack-util/.
- General: Renamed osdep/ to aircrack-osdep/.
- General: Fixed and added functions prototypes and commented out unused functions.
- General: Reformat source code using clang-format and added .clang-format file for IDE.
- General: Improvements to AppVeyor and TravisCI builds
- Building: Added NEON intrinsic support.
- Building: Support paths containing spaces, during autoreconf.
- Building: Fix compilation without getauxval in the trampoline binary.
- Building: Fixed compiler warnings on Windows, FreeBSD.
- Building: Fixes and documentation for OSX.
- Building: Added support for tcmalloc and jemalloc.
- Building: Added instruction to build Windows binaries with Airpcap.
- Unit test: Using CMocka for some tests
- Documentation: Updated explanations regarding building some experimental tools.
Our code repository containing sources can be found at https://github.com/aircrack-ng/aircrack-ng.
We also use GitHub to track issues.
The download and installation instructions can be found on the installation page.
- Installing the aircrack-ng suite
- Installing drivers and driver patches
Be sure to read the wiki. This wiki contains a vast amount of information to get you going and to resolve problems.
- manpages: each tool has a manpage.
- Bugtracking: GitHub
- IRC: #aircrack-ng on Freenode
- airdriver-ng - REMOVED in 1.2 rc 1
- Installing the aircrack-ng suite and the drivers
Links to Key Resources
- Patches: patches.aircrack-ng.org
- Videos (tutorials): videos.aircrack-ng.org
- Download: download.aircrack-ng.org
- Forum: forum.aircrack-ng.org
- Photos and videos (events): photos.aircrack-ng.org
- Blog: blog.aircrack-ng.org
- Nightly tarballs: nightly.aircrack-ng.org
- Archive: archive.aircrack-ng.org
- Storage: storage.aircrack-ng.org
- Twitter: twitter.aircrack-ng.org
We would like to thank everyone who donate and/or contribute to Aircrack-ng.
If you would like to donate, consider Hackers for Charity.
If you have any question regarding this website (this wiki, forum, …), do not hesitate to contact me at email@example.com.
Thanks to devine for the original work and to everyone who contributed to aircrack (You know who you are)