This is an old revision of the document!
Table of Contents
Aircrack-ng is a complete suite of tools to assess WiFi network security.
All tools are command line which allows for heavy scripting. A lot of GUIs have taken advantage of this feature. It works primarily Linux but also Windows, OS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, as well as Solaris and even eComStation 2.
It focuses on different areas of WiFi security:
- Monitoring: Packet capture and export of data to text files for further processing by third party tools.
- Attacking: Replay attacks, deauthentication, fake access points and others via packet injection.
- Testing: Checking WiFi cards and driver capabilities (capture and injection).
- Cracking: WEP and WPA PSK (WPA 1 and 2).
We also maintain patches for:
- Packet injection for Linux drivers
- HostAPd and Freeradius, called WPE (Wireless Pawn Edition) patches, to attack WPA Enterprise.
Tell me more about Aircrack-ng
If you are impatient and want to know how to get started, jump to the Getting Started Tutorial.
Aircrack-ng was started at the end of February 2006. It is the Next Generation of aircrack with lots of new features:
- Better documentation (wiki, manpages) and support (Forum, GitHub, IRC: #aircrack-ng on Freenode).
- More cards/drivers supported
- More OS and platforms supported
- PTW attack
- WEP dictionary attack
- Fragmentation attack
- WPA1/2 cracking with support for 802.11w captures and PMKID
- WPA Migration mode
- Improved cracking speed
- Capture with multiple cards
- Cracking session
- New tools: airtun-ng, packetforge-ng (improved arpforge), wesside-ng, easside-ng, airserv-ng, airolib-ng, airdriver-ng, airbase-ng, tkiptun-ng and airdecloak-ng
- Optimizations, other improvements and bug fixing
|15 Oct 2018||Blog post: Using Qemu to run a Big Endian Debian system||PCAP, IVS and hashcat capture files contain headers that store timestamps and other fields as integer values. In most cases, we're dealing with the same endianness (little), so this isn't too big of a deal but when a program needs to run on both big and little endian, values needs to be swapped to read the values as they were stored.
We have quite a few buildbots to handle a lot of test cases and while we're taking care of swapping for endianness in most cases, one bug slipped through the net. This is a good opportunity to create a MIPS big endian system using QEMU and Debian as a guest so we can possibly use it later on as another buildbot.
|8 Oct 2018||Blog post: Aircrack-ng packages||As mentioned in our 1.4 release blog post, we are now providing package repositories for a number of Linux distributions: Debian, Ubuntu, OpenSuse, Fedora, RHEL, CentOS and a few others.
Getting this done for so many distributions (and multiple version of each) wasn't an easy feat but we're now automatically building packages for releases and, for the adventurous ones, each commit in our GitHub repository is packaged too, in a separate repository. Head to our blog post for more details and how to use it.
If you just want to install one of the repositories (git or release), head over to our PackageCloud.io repository.
|29 Sep 2018||Aircrack-ng 1.4||We're on a roll, this is the third release of the year. We are still focusing a lot on code quality, while fixing bugs, improving all around and adding features:
- PMKID cracking
- Cracking capture files with 802.11w
- Speed and memory usage improvement when loading (large) files with Aircrack-ng and Airdecap-ng
- Packages for Linux distributions and Windows
- CI/CD tweaks and improvements
- New tests
More details can be found in our blog post.
Latest version: 1.4
IMPORTANT Information Regarding Windows Version IMPORTANT
The windows version requires you to develop your own DLLs to link aircrack-ng to your wireless card. The required DLLs are not provided in the download nor available anywhere on the Internet. Without these DLLs, the windows version will not function. Do NOT post questions or problems to the forum regarding the windows version. At present, there is no support provided.
- Installing the aircrack-ng suite and the drivers
- more Downloads... and how to compile aircrack-ng, distro packages…
- Aircrack-ng: Added PMKID cracking
- Aircrack-ng: Serious speed up and memory usage decrease when loading large files (multiple Gb) using AVL trees
- Aircrack-ng: Added hwloc (Hardware Locality) to improve performance
- Aircrack-ng: Support cracking PCAP with Protected Management Frames (802.11w)
- Aircrack-ng: Merged check_thread() and read_thread()
- Aircrack-ng: Allow static linking with chosen SIMD
- Aircrack-ng: Display AVX512F when present
- Airodump-ng: Added clients GPS coordinates in NetXML file
- Airdecap-ng: Improve decrypting/parsing speed
- Airmon-ng: Updated/fixed using with nexmon
- Airmon-ng: Better check for lspci requirement on systems that don't have PCI/PCIe devices
- Airmon-ng: Added support for rtl8812au/8814au/rtl88xxau driver
- Build: Fixed building with a few different architectures
- Build: Switch to new CI/CD tool, PyDeployer
- Build: Improved building on Windows (and building/testing with AppVeyor)
- Build: Improved and tweaked CI systems (buildbots, Travis, AppVeyor)
- Build: Support for statically linking libraries/binaries
- Build: Automatic development packages build for multiple Linux distro and upload to PackageCloud.io
- Tests: Added new tests for Aircrack-ng
- Tests: Added new capture files
- Freeradius-WPE: Fixed opening log file twice
- General: Fixed loading PCAP on system with a different endianness
- General: Fixed memory leaks and issues reported by static analysis tools
- General: Fixed “error while loading shared libraries”
- General: Various other small improvements in the tools, build system, tests and documentation
- General: Update FSF address
- General: Code formatting
Our code repository containing sources can be found at https://github.com/aircrack-ng/aircrack-ng.
We also use GitHub to track issues.
The download and installation instructions can be found on the installation page.
- Installing the aircrack-ng suite
- Installing drivers and driver patches
Be sure to read the wiki. This wiki contains a vast amount of information to get you going and to resolve problems.
- manpages: each tool has a manpage.
- Bugtracking: GitHub
- IRC: #aircrack-ng on Freenode
- airdriver-ng - REMOVED in 1.2 rc 1
- Installing the aircrack-ng suite and the drivers
Links to Key Resources
- Patches: patches.aircrack-ng.org
- Videos (tutorials): videos.aircrack-ng.org
- Download: download.aircrack-ng.org
- Forum: forum.aircrack-ng.org
- Photos and videos (events): photos.aircrack-ng.org
- Blog: blog.aircrack-ng.org
- Nightly tarballs: nightly.aircrack-ng.org
- Archive: archive.aircrack-ng.org
- Storage: storage.aircrack-ng.org
- Twitter: twitter.aircrack-ng.org
We would like to thank everyone who donate and/or contribute to Aircrack-ng.
If you would like to donate, consider Hackers for Charity.
If you have any question regarding this website (this wiki, forum, …), do not hesitate to contact me at email@example.com.
Thanks to devine for the original work and to everyone who contributed to aircrack (You know who you are)