This is an old revision of the document!
Table of Contents
Aircrack-ng is a complete suite of tools to assess WiFi network security.
All tools are command line which allows for heavy scripting. A lot of GUIs have taken advantage of this feature. It works primarily Linux but also Windows, OS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, as well as Solaris and even eComStation 2.
It focuses on different areas of WiFi security:
- Monitoring: Packet capture and export of data to text files for further processing by third party tools.
- Attacking: Replay attacks, deauthentication, fake access points and others via packet injection.
- Testing: Checking WiFi cards and driver capabilities (capture and injection).
- Cracking: WEP and WPA PSK (WPA 1 and 2).
We also maintain patches for:
- Packet injection for Linux drivers
- HostAPd and Freeradius, called WPE (Wireless Pawn Edition) patches, to attack WPA Enterprise.
Tell me more about Aircrack-ng
If you are impatient and want to know how to get started, jump to the Getting Started Tutorial.
Aircrack-ng was started at the end of February 2006. It is the Next Generation of aircrack with lots of new features:
- More cards/drivers supported
- More OS and platforms supported
- PTW attack
- WEP dictionary attack
- Fragmentation attack
- WPA1/2 cracking with support for 802.11w captures and PMKID
- WPA Migration mode
- Improved cracking speed
- Capture with multiple cards
- Cracking session
- Optimizations, other improvements and bug fixing
|09 Dec 2018||Aircrack-ng 1.5.2||Fourth and last release of the year. It is smaller than the previous one but we did want to release the fixes and improvements before the holidays so it will be available for Shmoocon next month in your favorite distro. Small issues were found in 1.5 and then in 1.5.1, which is why we ended up with 1.5.2.
It brings fixes, a new feature and lots of improvements. More details in our blog post.
|07 Nov 2018||Blog post: Continuous Integration/Contious Delivery||We have been using a lot of different tools and fined tuned them to provide us better and better information which has contributed to increase code quality over time. This blog post gives an overview of our current CI/CD infrastructure and some future improvements we are working on.|
Latest version: 1.4
IMPORTANT Information Regarding Windows Version IMPORTANT
The windows version requires you to develop your own DLLs to link aircrack-ng to your wireless card. The required DLLs are not provided in the download nor available anywhere on the Internet. Without these DLLs, the windows version will not function. Do NOT post questions or problems to the forum regarding the windows version. At present, there is no support provided.
- more Downloads... and how to compile aircrack-ng, distro packages…
- Airodump-ng: Fixed AP selection slip in interactive mode
- Airodump-ng: Revamped GPS logging functionality and added new logging format (logcsv)
- Aircrack-ng: Only load the maximum supported and available crypto engine
- Aircrack-ng: Reworked wordlist producer/consumer queue
- Airserv-ng: Fixed communication between platforms with different size int
- Airmon-ng: Improved detection of Raspberry Pis
- General: Signed and unsigned comparison fixes
- Package: Added package for Ubuntu 18.10 (Cosmic)
- General: Code cleanups
- General: Added more tests
- General: Compilation improvements/fixes in autotools
- General: Big endian fixes
- General: Fixed building on FreeBSD and OpenBSD
- General: Added instructions to compile on DragonflyBSD and OpenBSD
- General: Fixed spelling errors
Our code repository containing sources can be found at https://github.com/aircrack-ng/aircrack-ng.
We also use GitHub to track issues.
The download and installation instructions can be found on the installation page.
- Installing the aircrack-ng suite
- Installing drivers and driver patches
Be sure to read the wiki. This wiki contains a vast amount of information to get you going and to resolve problems.
- manpages: each tool has a manpage.
- Bugtracking: GitHub
- airdriver-ng - REMOVED in 1.2 rc 1
Links to Key Resources
- Patches: patches.aircrack-ng.org
- Videos (tutorials): videos.aircrack-ng.org
- Download: download.aircrack-ng.org
- Forum: forum.aircrack-ng.org
- Photos and videos (events): photos.aircrack-ng.org
- Blog: blog.aircrack-ng.org
- Nightly tarballs: nightly.aircrack-ng.org
- Archive: archive.aircrack-ng.org
- Storage: storage.aircrack-ng.org
- Twitter: twitter.aircrack-ng.org
If you would like to donate, consider Hackers for Charity.
If you have any question regarding this website (this wiki, forum, …), do not hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks to devine for the original work and to everyone who contributed to aircrack (You know who you are)