This is an old revision of the document!
Table of Contents
Aircrack-ng is a complete suite of tools to assess WiFi network security.
All tools are command line which allows for heavy scripting. A lot of GUIs have taken advantage of this feature. It works primarily Linux but also Windows, OS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, as well as Solaris and even eComStation 2.
It focuses on different areas of WiFi security:
- Monitoring: Packet capture and export of data to text files for further processing by third party tools.
- Attacking: Replay attacks, deauthentication, fake access points and others via packet injection.
- Testing: Checking WiFi cards and driver capabilities (capture and injection).
- Cracking: WEP and WPA PSK (WPA 1 and 2).
We also maintain patches for:
- Packet injection for Linux drivers
- HostAPd and Freeradius, called WPE (Wireless Pawn Edition) patches, to attack WPA Enterprise.
Tell me more about Aircrack-ng
If you are impatient and want to know how to get started, jump to the Getting Started Tutorial.
Aircrack-ng was started at the end of February 2006. It is the Next Generation of aircrack with lots of new features:
- Better documentation (wiki, manpages) and support (Forum, GitHub, IRC: #aircrack-ng on Freenode).
- More cards/drivers supported
- More OS and platforms supported
- PTW attack
- WEP dictionary attack
- Fragmentation attack
- WPA Migration mode
- Improved cracking speed
- Capture with multiple cards
- New tools: airtun-ng, packetforge-ng (improved arpforge), wesside-ng, easside-ng, airserv-ng, airolib-ng, airdriver-ng, airbase-ng, tkiptun-ng and airdecloak-ng
- Optimizations, other improvements and bug fixing
|29 Sep 2018||Aircrack-ng 1.4||We're on a roll, this is the third release of the year. We are still focusing a lot on code quality, while fixing bugs, improving all around and adding features:
- PMKID cracking
- Cracking capture files with 802.11w
- Speed and memory usage improvement when loading (large) files with Aircrack-ng and Airdecap-ng
- Packages for Linux distributions and Windows
- CI/CD tweaks and improvements
- New tests
More details can be found in our blog post.
|16 Sep 2018||Blog post: Debian and FreeBSD on QEMU with MMX-only CPU||A recent bug (and PR) was opened, aircrack-ng couldn't be built with MMX using a i586 toolchain. Finding computers without SSE2 nowadays is not easy and it is even harder to find a distribution that supports them.
In this blog post, we use qemu to emulate a Pentium 2 and a Pentium MMX and use distributions that still work on them to test the bug.
Latest version: 1.4
IMPORTANT Information Regarding Windows Version IMPORTANT
The windows version requires you to develop your own DLLs to link aircrack-ng to your wireless card. The required DLLs are not provided in the download nor available anywhere on the Internet. Without these DLLs, the windows version will not function. Do NOT post questions or problems to the forum regarding the windows version. At present, there is no support provided.
- Installing the aircrack-ng suite and the drivers
- more Downloads... and how to compile aircrack-ng, distro packages…
- Aircrack-ng: Added PMKID cracking
- Aircrack-ng: Serious speed up and memory usage decrease when loading large files (multiple Gb) using AVL trees
- Aircrack-ng: Added hwloc (Hardware Locality) to improve performance
- Aircrack-ng: Support cracking PCAP with Protected Management Frames (802.11w)
- Aircrack-ng: Merged check_thread() and read_thread()
- Aircrack-ng: Allow static linking with chosen SIMD
- Aircrack-ng: Display AVX512F when present
- Airodump-ng: Added clients GPS coordinates in NetXML file
- Airdecap-ng: Improve decrypting/parsing speed
- Airmon-ng: Updated/fixed using with nexmon
- Airmon-ng: Better check for lspci requirement on systems that don't have PCI/PCIe devices
- Airmon-ng: Added support for rtl8812au/8814au/rtl88xxau driver
- Build: Fixed building with a few different architectures
- Build: Switch to new CI/CD tool, PyDeployer
- Build: Improved building on Windows (and building/testing with AppVeyor)
- Build: Improved and tweaked CI systems (buildbots, Travis, AppVeyor)
- Build: Support for statically linking libraries/binaries
- Build: Automatic development packages build for multiple Linux distro and upload to PackageCloud.io
- Tests: Added new tests for Aircrack-ng
- Tests: Added new capture files
- Freeradius-WPE: Fixed opening log file twice
- General: Fixed loading PCAP on system with a different endianness
- General: Fixed memory leaks and issues reported by static analysis tools
- General: Fixed “error while loading shared libraries”
- General: Various other small improvements in the tools, build system, tests and documentation
- General: Update FSF address
- General: Code formatting
Our code repository containing sources can be found at https://github.com/aircrack-ng/aircrack-ng.
We also use GitHub to track issues.
The download and installation instructions can be found on the installation page.
- Installing the aircrack-ng suite
- Installing drivers and driver patches
Be sure to read the wiki. This wiki contains a vast amount of information to get you going and to resolve problems.
- manpages: each tool has a manpage.
- Bugtracking: GitHub
- IRC: #aircrack-ng on Freenode
- airdriver-ng - REMOVED in 1.2 rc 1
- Installing the aircrack-ng suite and the drivers
Links to Key Resources
- Patches: patches.aircrack-ng.org
- Videos (tutorials): videos.aircrack-ng.org
- Download: download.aircrack-ng.org
- Forum: forum.aircrack-ng.org
- Photos and videos (events): photos.aircrack-ng.org
- Blog: blog.aircrack-ng.org
- Nightly tarballs: nightly.aircrack-ng.org
- Archive: archive.aircrack-ng.org
- Storage: storage.aircrack-ng.org
- Twitter: twitter.aircrack-ng.org
We would like to thank everyone who donate and/or contribute to Aircrack-ng.
If you would like to donate, consider Hackers for Charity.
If you have any question regarding this website (this wiki, forum, …), do not hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks to devine for the original work and to everyone who contributed to aircrack (You know who you are)