This is an old revision of the document!
Table of Contents
Aircrack-ng is a complete suite of tools to assess WiFi network security.
All tools are command line which allows for heavy scripting. A lot of GUIs have taken advantage of this feature. It works primarily on Linux but also Windows, macOS, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, as well as Solaris and even eComStation 2.
It focuses on different areas of WiFi security:
- Monitoring: Packet capture and export of data to text files for further processing by third party tools.
- Attacking: Replay attacks, deauthentication, fake access points and others via packet injection.
- Testing: Checking WiFi cards and driver capabilities (capture and injection).
- Cracking: WEP and WPA PSK (WPA 1 and 2).
We also maintain patches for:
- Packet injection for Linux drivers
- HostAPd and Freeradius, called WPE (Wireless Pawn Edition) patches, to attack WPA Enterprise.
Tell me more about Aircrack-ng
If you are impatient and want to know how to get started, jump to the Getting Started Tutorial.
Aircrack-ng was started at the end of February 2006. It is the Next Generation of aircrack with lots of new features:
- More cards/drivers supported
- More OS and platforms supported
- PTW attack
- WEP dictionary attack
- Fragmentation attack
- WPA1/2 cracking with support for 802.11w captures and PMKID
- WPA Migration mode
- Improved cracking speed
- Capture with multiple cards
- Cracking session
- Optimizations, other improvements and bug fixing
|25 Jan 2020||Aircrack-ng 1.6||This release brings a ton of improvements. Along with bug fixes and improvements for a lot of tools, we have huge improvements under the hood thanks to code cleanup, deduplication, and reorganization of the source code. We also improved our buildbot, and addedd integration tests.
The most notable changes are in Airodump-ng, it now sees WPA3 and OWE. Its rates now takes into account 802.11n/ac and aren't limited to 54Mbit anymore. It has PMKID detection, and basic UTF-8 support among other things.
Many more details can be found in our blog post.
|09 Dec 2018||Aircrack-ng 1.5.2||Fourth and last release of the year. It is smaller than the previous one but we did want to release the fixes and improvements before the holidays so it will be available for Shmoocon next month in your favorite distro. Small issues were found in 1.5 and then in 1.5.1, which is why we ended up with 1.5.2.
It brings fixes, a new feature and lots of improvements. More details in our blog post.
|07 Nov 2018||Blog post: Continuous Integration/Contious Delivery||We have been using a lot of different tools and fined tuned them to provide us better and better information which has contributed to increase code quality over time. This blog post gives an overview of our current CI/CD infrastructure and some future improvements we are working on.|
Latest version: 1.6
IMPORTANT Information Regarding Windows Version IMPORTANT
The windows version requires you to develop your own DLLs to link aircrack-ng to your wireless card. The required DLLs are not provided in the download nor available anywhere on the Internet. Without these DLLs, the windows version will not function. Do NOT post questions or problems to the forum regarding the windows version. At present, there is no support provided.
- more Downloads... and how to compile aircrack-ng, distro packages…
- Aircrack-ng: Added support for MidnightBSD
- Aircrack-ng: Fixed ARM processors display with -u
- Aircrack-ng: Fixed AVX-512F support
- Aircrack-ng: Fixed cracking speed calculation
- Aircrack-ng: Fixed cracking WEP beyond 10k IVS
- Aircrack-ng: Fixed creating new session and added test case
- Aircrack-ng: Fixed encryption display in some cases when prompting for network to crack
- Aircrack-ng: Fixed exiting Aircrack-ng in some cases
- Aircrack-ng: Fixed logical and physical processor count detection
- Aircrack-ng: Fixed PMKID length check
- Aircrack-ng: Various fixes and improvements to WPA cracking engine and its performance
- Airdecap-ng: Decrypt both directions when WDS is in use
- Airdecap-ng: Fixed decrypting WPA PCAP when BSSID changes
- Airgraph-ng: Added support for WPA3
- Airgraph-ng: Switch to argparse
- Airmon-ng: Added detection for wicd, Intel Wireless Daemon (iwd), net_applet
- Airmon-ng: Handle case when avahi keeps getting restarted
- Airmon-ng: Indicates when interface doesn't exist
- Airodump-ng: Added autocolorization interactive key
- Airodump-ng: Added option to read PCAP in realtime (-T)
- Airodump-ng: Added PMKID detection
- Airodump-ng: Added support for GMAC
- Airodump-ng: Added support for WPA3 and OWE (Enhanced Open)
- Airodump-ng: Basic UTF-8 support
- Airodump-ng: Checked management frames are complete before processing IE to avoid switch from WEP to WPA
- Airodump-ng: Display signal when reading from PCAP
- Airodump-ng: Fixed netxml output with hidden SSID
- Airodump-ng: Improved rates calculation for 802.11n/ac
- Airtun-ng: Fixed using -p with -e
- Autoconf: Fixed order of ssl and crypto libraries
- dcrack: Fixed client reporting benchmark
- dcrack: Now handles chunked encoding when communicating (default in Python3)
- Freeradius-WPE: Updated patch for v3.0.20
- General: Added NetBSD endianness support
- General: Added python3 support to scripts
- General: Added script to update autotools on CentOS 7
- General: Added security policy to report security issues
- General: Reorganizing filesystem layout (See PR 2032), and switch to automake 1.14+
- General: Convert to non-recursive make (part of PR 2032)
- General: Deduplicating functions and code cleanups
- General: Fixed packaging on cygwin due to openssl library name change
- General: Fixed SPARC build on Solaris 11
- General: Removed coveralls.io
- General: Updated dependencies in README.md/INSTALLING
- General: Use upstream radiotap libary, as a sub-tree
- General: various fixes and improvements (code, CI, integration tests, coverity)
- HostAPd-WPE: Updated for v2.9
- Manpages: Fixes and improvements
- Tests: Added Integration tests for aireplay-ng, airodump-ng, aircrack-ng, airbase-ng, and others
- Tests: Added tests for airdecap-ng, aircrack-ng
Our code repository containing sources can be found at https://github.com/aircrack-ng/aircrack-ng.
We also use GitHub to track issues.
The download and installation instructions can be found on the installation page.
- Installing the aircrack-ng suite
- Installing drivers and driver patches
Be sure to read the wiki. This wiki contains a vast amount of information to get you going and to resolve problems.
- manpages: each tool has a manpage.
- Bugtracking: GitHub
- airdriver-ng - REMOVED in 1.2 rc 1
Links to Key Resources
- Patches: patches.aircrack-ng.org
- Videos (tutorials): videos.aircrack-ng.org
- Download: download.aircrack-ng.org
- Forum: forum.aircrack-ng.org
- Photos and videos (events): photos.aircrack-ng.org
- Blog: blog.aircrack-ng.org
- Nightly tarballs: nightly.aircrack-ng.org
- Archive: archive.aircrack-ng.org
- Storage: storage.aircrack-ng.org
- Twitter: twitter.aircrack-ng.org
If you would like to donate, consider Hackers for Charity.
If you have any question regarding this website (this wiki, forum, …), do not hesitate to contact me at email@example.com.
Thanks to devine for the original work and to everyone who contributed to aircrack (You know who you are)